Sunnyvale School District Board of Education Updates
The following is a summary of actions taken by the Sunnyvale School District Board at the September, October, and November meetings.
- Approved the annual unaudited actuals financial report for the fiscal year 2017-2018.
- Approved a resolution to apply for the Carl Moyer Program and School Bus Project Funding grant opportunities to replace buses with newer zero-emission and near-zero-emission buses.
- Approved a project that would install four portable classrooms at Cumberland to house forecasted increased enrollment.
- Approved the tentative agreement between the Sunnyvale School District and Sunnyvale Education Association.
- Endorsed Fremont Union High School District’s General Obligation Bond Measure CC.
- Approved a resolution in support of those who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer.
- Approved a resolution regarding the sufficiency of instructional materials.
- The board discussed start time for board meeting closed and open sessions. It was decided that further discussion will be held on this matter by the new board in place in January.
- Authorized staff to request for proposals for Food Services Management. Sunnyvale School District has been using the consulting services of a Food Service Management Company since 1997. The state requires school districts to bid competitively for these professional services every five years. As the District is approaching the end of the contract period, management requested authorization to seek proposals for another five-year term beginning July 1, 2019.
November 14 (Special Board Meeting):
- The board discussed school plans for student achievement with school principals, the results of the school facilities Thoughtexchange, annual election of board officers and committee representatives, and the candidate nomination for the California School Boards Association Delegate Assembly.
The next Board of Education meeting is December 11, 2018.
Board of Education meetings are generally scheduled at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Thursday of the month at the Sunnyvale School District Administrative Office, 819 West Iowa Avenue, Sunnyvale.
The Board of Education is the elected governing body of the SSD. Its five members serve four-year terms and are elected by Sunnyvale residents. Learn more about the members, and view their meeting schedule, agendas, and minutes at https:/www.sesd.org/Page/57.