Call for entries for Future Chefs culinary competition!
We’re thrilled to introduce the 4th annual Future Chef event! This year, we’re accepting entries grade 1 through 5. The idea behind this event is to help educate the kids in HEALTHY EATING HABITS. Too often we hear about childhood obesity and kids not making the right choices in terms of their eating habits. That’s why we want kids to submit recipes and to re-imagine their Favorite School Lunch Meal.
Bonus Ingredients: Receive one point per ingredient with a max of 3 points. Plant Based Proteins (examples: Burgers, Nuggets) / Fish / Leafy Greens (Examples: Kale, Mustard, Collard, Swiss chard) / Dried Fruit / Sweet Potato
Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- Kid Friendly
- Ease of Preparation
- Healthy Attributes
- Plate Presentation
- Presentation to Judges about their entrée
Timeline of the event:
- Kids who would like to participate need to fill out the recipe card and return it to their teacher. Teachers will collect the recipe cards and give them to the cafeteria staff
- The cafeteria staff will return the recipes to Armando Robles in Child Nutrition Please make sure you return the recipe no later than January 27, 2020.
- The recipes will be evaluated and narrowed down to one finalist per school.
- The finalists will be formally invited to a Culinary Competition “Cook-Off "on Thursday, March 26, 2020
- Students should be dropped off at Bishop Elementary 450 N. Sunnyvale Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94085 from 1:30 pm-2:00 pm
- Our student Chef’s will have two hours (2:00 pm- 4:00 pm) to cook and make a presentation plate for the judges and small sample portions size for Parents and guest. (20-30)
- Each student will have a kitchen staff member assigned to help them and ensure that there are no safety issues. This will also ensure safe food preparation practices are followed.
- 4:00-4:30 Judges will sample the entrees
- 4:30-5:00 Awards and prizes will be presented
Transportation will not be provided on Thursday March 26th, 2020 for the competition. Kids will need to be dropped off and picked up at Bishop Elementary school the day of the event. All Finalists will receive a framed plaque, recipe book of all finalists’ recipes, chef coat, apron and hat.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact: Armando Robles General Manager Sunnyvale School District 408-522-8200 x1081 Armando.firstname.lastname@example.org
To download the recipe card click here: Recipe Card
For information on the Future Chefs Challenge click here: Future Chefs Challenge Flyer