What is a Child Find?

Posted by:

All children with disabilities residing in the SELPA including children with disabilities who are homeless children or are wards of state and children with disabilities attending private, including religious, elementary and secondary schools, regardless of the severity of their disabilities, and who are in need of special education and related services, shall be identified, located, and assessed. (EC 56301) 

Referrals for assessment may come from parents, teachers, agencies, and appropriate professionals. A referral for special education is made only after the resources of general education have been considered and, when appropriate, utilized. (EC 56303)