What is Transitional Kindergarten?
Transitional Kindergarten is the first of a two-year kindergarten program. A child is eligible for TK if they have their fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2. TK offers a developmentally appropriate curriculum that is just right for the younger learner.
Sunnyvale School District Program Design
TK will be offered to all eligible students in the district.
- Full day program
- TK children may have meals, recess and all activities with their kindergarten peers
- Located at five elementary school sites to service north and south side families. Parents provide their own transportation.
- Fully credentialed, experienced teachers
- Based on California Preschool Learning Foundation and California Common Core Kindergarten Standards
- Developmental approach focused on the skills needed to be successful in kindergarten
- Literacy – pre-reading and writing skills
- Math – number sense and problem solving
- Physical development – large and fine motor skills
- Social/Emotional development in a supportive environment
- Oral language development
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) in Sunnyvale
1. TK is part of the public school system and is free to all eligible children.
2. TK gives young five-year-olds the opportunity to start their kindergarten experience with children their own age.
3. Students will be assessed regularly, to monitor their academic, social emotional and oral language growth.
4. After Transitional Kindergarten, students will be promoted to Kindergarten.
Building Parent Partnerships
Communication between home and school is essential in helping students succeed. Parents are encouraged to actively participate in their child’s learning journey at home and at school, volunteering in class.
Teachers are available to meet with parents on a regular basis to discuss their child’s progress and how parents can help support students at home.
Frequently Asked Questions
Must children attend Transitional Kindergarten or kindergarten?
School is mandatory once a child is six years old. Therefore, parents and guardians are currently not required to enroll children in either transitional kindergarten or kindergarten.
Will Transitional Kindergarten and kindergarten students be enrolled in the same classroom?
TK students will be in a self-contained class to the extent possible.
Are Transitional Kindergarten students required to complete the entire two year program?
TK students are provided the opportunity to receive a two-year kindergarten program.
Arrival times for Transitional Kindergarten will be from from 8:00 a.m. - 8:15 a.m. for sites located at Lakewood, Bishop, and San Miguel and 8:15 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. for sites located at Ellis and Vargas.