• Health Requirements for Registration and School Health Policies



    Immunization Requirements for School Entry  
    For information on immunization requirement for Preschool, go to the following link:  http://shotsforschool.org/child-care/


    TK/K - 8th
    All students entering our school district need to be up to date on their vaccinations according to California Law. Depending on the age of your student, go to  http://www.shotsforschool.org/k-12/  for detailed information. 
    For information on immunization requirement for Preschool, go to the following link:  http://shotsforschool.org/child-care/


    7th grade
    All students entering 7th grade need an additional vaccine, called Tdap, which is a booster for Tetanus, Diphteria and Pertussis. More information can be found at  http://www.shotsforschool.org/7th-grade/
    Under a new law known as SB 277, beginning January 1, 2016 exemptions based on personal beliefs will no longer be an option for the vaccines that are currently required for entry into child care or school in California.  Most families will not be affected by the new law because their children have received all required vaccinations. Personal beliefs exemptions on file for a child already attending child care or school will remain valid until the child reaches the next immunization checkpoint at kindergarten (including transitional kindergarten) or 7th grade. 
    For more information about SB 277, please see the Frequently Asked Questions available at: https://www.shotsforschool.org/laws/exemptions/.
    Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment for School Entry
    Preschool - 8th 
    Effective June 1, 2014, students newly enrolling into schools in Santa Clara County will be required to undergo TB testing ONLY if their healthcare provider identifies a risk factor for TB exposure. Prior to school enrollment children will be required to have their healthcare provider complete the Santa Clara County Public Health Department TB Risk Assessment for School Entry form.  Take this form to your provider to complete and return to your child’s school. For more information you can download the Santa Clara County Health Department Tuberculosis information for Parents and Guardians.

    doctor's appointment  Health Examination Requirement (CHDP)


    TK and K

    Every Kindergarten Student is required to show proof of a physical exam by having your child's medical provider complete the Report of Health Examination for School Entry by May 31 of the Kindergarten year. Transitional Kindergarten students who have fulfilled this requirement do not need to provide proof again upon Kindergarten entry. Newly entering 1st grade students (who have not attended Kindergarten) have 90 days after school entry to complete the physical exam. Please note that the physical exam only fulfills this requirement, if it was completed after March 1st before the student enters either Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten. Any physical exam done at an earlier date cannot be accepted. If you do not have a doctor or health insurance for your child, you may contact the Healthier Kids Foundation of Santa Clara County at www.hkidsf.org, or call (408) 564-5114. You may also contact the Family Resource Center at San Miguel Elementary School at (408) 522-8200 ext. 1890

    child brushing teeth  Oral Health Exam Requirement 

     TK and K  

    California law requires that every student enrolling for Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten have a dental checkup by May 31 of his or her first school year. Dental evaluations that have happened within the 12 months before your child enters school also meet this requirement. Please make an appointment with your child's dentist and have him/her complete the Oral Health Assessment Form (Spanish) If you do not have a dentist or dental insurance for your child, you can get help enrolling your child by contacting the Healthier Kids Foundation of Santa Clara County at www.hkidsf.org, or call (408) 564-5114. You may also contact the Family Resource Center at San Miguel Elementary School at (408) 522-8200 ext. 1890 or call the Children's Dental Center in Sunnyvale at 877-567-6453.


    Medication  Guidelines for dropping off Medications

    If your student needs to take medication during the school day, our trained staff will be able to help. You can pick up forms from your child’s school, or download it from the Medical Forms page. 
    Confirm that the appropriate medication forms have been completed correctly:
    • The doctor’s order needs to match the bottle description, dosage, and name.
    • The form must have a doctor’s signature and date.
    • The form must have a parent’s signature and date.



    • Needs to be in a labeled pharmacy bottle and labeled with the student’s name, medication and dosage matching the information on the permission form (see above).
    • If it is a controlled substance, such as Ritalin, the pills have to be counted by the staff person who is accepting the bottle, with the parent present.
    • After the pills are counted, the staff person accepting the pills needs to note on the medication log the number of pills, initial next to it and the parent initials it.
    • DO NOT drop off medications without making sure they are properly signed in by a staff person and noted on your child’s medication log sheet(s). 
    • Even over-the-counter/non-prescription medication MUST be accompanied by a doctor’s order and signature and parent signature. 

      Nurse  When is my child too sick to go to school?

    If a student experiences the following symptoms at school, school personnel will contact the parent/guardian in order to arrange for someone to pick him/her up from school: 
    • Temperature of 100 degrees or above 
    • Diarrhea 
    • Nausea accompanied by vomiting                                                      
    • Pain which does not subside after resting 
    • Appears ill, even though symptoms are vague                                           
    • Redness of eyes with purulent discharge                                                    
    • Acute earache 
    • Severe toothache 
    • Unexplained or unknown rash 
    Students cannot be sent to school if they have any of the above symptoms in the morning before school starts. 
    In case your child was excluded for a suspected communicable disease (per direction of the Santa Clara County Health Department), such as pink eye or unknown rash, parents need to provide the school with a doctors note upon the student’s return. Furthermore, students who have had a fever (100 degrees or above) cannot return to school until they have been without fever and/or diarrhea or vomiting for at least 24 hours or for at least 48 hours without diarrhea or vomiting during an outbreak of gastro-intestinal illness.
    Head Lice 
    Students who are found to have live head lice will need to be treated before coming back to school. See head lice policy notification below. For more information on how to get rid of head lice, click the following link: