Welcome to Mrs. Cossey's First Grade Class!
Areas of Study
Language Arts & Reading:
- Treasures-Macmillan McGraw-Hill
- Oral Language- Oral Vocabulary and Phonemic Awareness
- Word Study- Phonics, High Frequency Words, and Spelling
- Reading- Comprehension Strategies and Skills, Fluency, Skill Based Practice Readers, and Reader’s Response pages
- Language Arts- Grammar and Writing
- Treasures Macmillan McGraw-Hill reading program
- Close Reading
- Daily Five (Read to Self, Read to Someone, Writing, Word Work and Listen to Reading)
- Non-fiction Instructional Texts
- Fact-Based Discussions and Writing
- Formative Assessments
- Interactive Phonics and Language Arts Journals
- Cross-curricular studies
- Students will recount sequenced events, use order words, include details and closure.
- Students will name a topic, supply facts about it, and provide closure.
- Students will introduce a topic, state an opinion, supply reasons to support their opinion, and provide closure.
Math Expressions: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Unit 1: Partners and Number
Patterns Through 10
Unit 2: Addition and Subtraction Strategies
Unit 3: Unknown Numbers in Addition and Subtraction
Unit 4: Place Value Concepts
Unit 5: Place Value Situations
Unit 6: Comparisons and Data
Unit 7: Geometry, Measurement, and Equal Shares
Unit 8: Two-Digit Addition
Science: Pearson Scott Foresman
- Plants and Animals
- Solids, Liquids, Gases
- Rules and Laws
- All About People
- We Love Our Country
- Where People Live
- Our Changing World
- Morning Wakeup
- Common Core Focused Language Arts Instruction
- Oral Language
- Snack Recess
- Writer’s Workshop
- Independent Reading, response to reading iPad Rotations
- Social Studies/Science/Art
- Physical Education
- Weekly library and computer lab visits.
- Weekly classes through the Starting Arts Performing Arts Program (Dance, Music, Theater).
- Monthly participation in PE with a Playworks coach.
- Monthly FAME art projects through a parent run art program and parent led character building sessions with Project Cornerstone.
- Marine Science Institute
- The Elves and the Shoemaker Play
- Mad Science In-Class Workshop-“Dry Ice”
- Miss Nelson is Missing Play
- In N Out Burger restaurant tour
- First Grade End of the Year Picnic