CMS Weekly Update
Dates: August 19-23
From: Ms. Allmann
First Day of School (Late Start)
- Aug. 26 – Athletics Season 1 Tryouts Begin
- KLAS Begins
- Sept. 2 – NO SCHOOL (Labor Day)
- Sept. 12 – Picture Day
- Back to School Night @ 6pm
- Sept. 16 – NO SCHOOL (Staff Development Day)
- Sept. 18 – ELAC/PTSA Meeting @ 6pm/6:30pm
- Sept. 27 – WEB Dance @ 3:30 – 5:30
Welcome to our first edition of the e-bulletin this year! You will receive a link to our weekly bulletins via email to apprise you of upcoming events and other useful information. (Note: They usually come on Mondays.) Consider bookmarking the webpage at CMS Weekly Update where you can access these Weekly Updates at any time. We also encourage you to bookmark our general website at http://www.sesd.org/columbia where you can find more information, with upcoming events and calendar on the first page!
First Day of School – Wednesday, Aug. 21st @ 9:48am
The first day of school for all students is Wednesday, August 21st. Since every Wednesday is a Late Start, school does not begin until 9:48. Here is some other “first day” info:
- Classes posted: Students 1st period classes are posted at each entrance. If a student’s name is crossed out, or is not listed, it means your student has not yet proven residency, or is missing an immunization, and should report to the office for more information.
- Class schedules: On the first day of school, students will report to their first period class, where teachers will distribute their schedules. Our 8th grade WEB leaders will be wearing their maroon WEB shirts so students can locate them to ask questions, escort them to class, etc.
- Schedule changes: If a student is missing a class or there is a mistake in their schedule, their teacher will send them to the office to correct the schedule. If they are not missing a class, but they want to change their elective, they will need to come to the office during lunch or brunch to complete a schedule change request form. Schedule changes are not guaranteed.
- 6th Grade Advanced Math: This is a reminder that the 6th Grade Advanced Math class is a “Flex” class (Math 7a) and does not begin until Sept. 17th. (If your student attended an elementary school in our district, you should have received notification at the end of last year as to whether or not your student qualified for Adv. Math. If you are unsure, feel free to contact me at Marybeth.email@example.com.)
- Forms: If you have any forms that need to be turned in (free/reduced lunch form, volunteer packet, etc.), your student may give these forms to their first period teacher, or to the Main Office.
Parking/Drop-Off: With 800 students at CMS, traffic can become a problem during drop-off and pick-up times as our parking areas are simply not equipped to accommodate that amount of traffic.
This is a reminder to exercise safety when picking up and dropping off your students. Please do not let your student out of the car in the street, and if walking, please do not cross outside the crosswalk when picking up your student. We recommend the following to help with the traffic congestion:
- Walk/Bike to school: Having your students walk or bike to school not only reduces the amount of traffic, but also promotes exercise and health!
- Rendezvous point: If you must drop your student off, do so away from the front of the school. For example, drop off on a side street that is close to school but away from the traffic and arrange your student to meet you there after school. (A good place for this is on San Diego Ave, next to our field).
- Early/later arrival: To avoid traffic, and if able, plan to arrive 10-15 minutes earlier in the morning, or 10-15 minutes later in the afternoon.
Thank you for helping us stay safe!
CMS Athletics– Tryouts on Monday, Aug. 26th
Come be a part of Bulldog Athletics! Tryouts for Cross Country, Softball, and Boys Basketball begin on Monday, Aug. 26th Students need to bring PE Clothes or athletic clothes to wear, tennis shoes preferred.
For tryouts on Monday, Aug. 26th , please meet at the following locations and times:
- Cross Country – 3pm -– Meet at Track
- Girls Softball – 3pm –– Meet at Softball Field
- Boys Volleyball – 3pm –– Meet in Gym
Questions? – While our Weekly Updates and our website answer general questions, some of you have asked who you should call or email if you have specific questions.
If you have questions that are classroom related, it is best to contact the teacher(s) directly. (We are in the process of updating our website with our new teachers.)
If you have other questions that can’t be answered by a teacher or if you have concerns, you may contact administration. Students have been assigned an Assistant Principal who follows them throughout their three years here:
- Esteban Ybarra (Asst. Principal): 6th grade students (ALL), 8th grade students (Last Names A-M)
- Daniel Poo (Asst. Principal) : 7th grade students (ALL), 8th grade students (Last Names N-Z)
Of course, any of us are happy to answer any questions you may have, so do not hesitate to ask!
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!
Easy Fundraising Opportunities!
- Annual Box Tops Contest
Want to help CMS earn money at no cost to you? Participate in our Box Tops Drive!
- Neatly cut and collect UNEXPIRED Box Tops and send them to school in a plastic bag or envelope.
- Write your student’s name, first period teacher, and number of box tops on the plastic bag or envelope.
- Send to the school OFFICE with your students anytime before the contest ends!
- The winning classroom will receive a popsicle party and CASH for the classroom!
- Amazon Smile: Do you purchase from Amazon.com? Use the link below, and Amazon will donate a percentage of your purchase to CMS! http://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2906049
- eScrip: Register your VISA, or other cards with eScrip and up to 5% of the money you spend will go to CMS! Simply click on the link, register your cards, and choose Columbia Middle School PTSA as the group you are supporting. Save Mart, Lucky and Food Maxx are also participants!
- Matching Donations: Do you work for a company that offers matching donations? If so, be sure to take advantage of this opportunity to double your donations to CMS! If your company needs any documentation from CMS to verify school status, please contact me so I may provide whatever is needed.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!
- Aug. 26 – Athletics Season 1 Tryouts Begin