Cherry Chase Registration: Frequently Asked Questions

  • When does registration for the 2019-2020 school year begin?

    Posted by:

    Pre-registration for 2019-2020 begins on February 4, 2019.  New registrations will be taken Mondays-Thursdays between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

    Comments (-1)
  • Can my child attend Cherry Chase if we do not live within the Cherry Chase district boundaries?

    Posted by:

    As Cherry Chase is a highly impacted school, we do not accept Open Enrollment applications.  All students must reside within the Cherry Chase School boundaries in order to attend our school.  Proof of residency is required at the time of registration and at the beginning of each school year.  


    Comments (-1)
  • If we live in the Cherry Chase School boundaries, is my child guaranteed enrollment at Cherry Chase?

    Posted by:

    Cherry Chase is an impacted school.  This means that we frequently have more students living within the Cherry Chase School boundaries than spaces available in our school.  As a result, we may need to overload students from the Cherry Chase neighborhood to one of our neighboring Sunnyvale School District schools.   When students are overloaded to a neighboring school, we invite those students back to Cherry Chase as space becomes available based on the date and time of the submitted InfoSnap registration. 

    Comments (-1)
  • My child is eligible for Transitional Kindergarten (TK). Is there a TK class at Cherry Chase?

    Posted by:

    Due to our high enrollment, we do not have space for a TK classroom at Cherry Chase.  As a result, all of our TK students will attend TK classes at one of our neighboring schools.

    Students who register for Transitional Kindergarten will need to complete the entire registration process again the following year to enroll their child for kindergarten.

    Comments (-1)
  • If my child completed TK, can he/she skip kindergarten and go directly to first grade?

    Posted by:

    TK is a completely separate program from kindergarten.  Therefore, children should be enrolled in kindergarten following TK.  If you and the TK teacher agree that the child might be prepared for 1st grade, you will still register your child for kindergarten.  Once your child is registered, you can bring your concerns to our administrative team. After one of our teachers has an opportunity to assess the student's academic, social, and emotional development, the school team will work with you to determine the most appropriate placement.


    Comments (-1)
  • What is Open Enrollment?

    Posted by:

    Open Enrollment is the process for applying to attend to a school outside of your residence area.  Since Cherry Chase is an impacted school, we do not accept Open Enrollment applications; however, families residing within the Cherry Chase boundaries can apply for their child(ren) to attend one of the school accepting Open Enrollment.  These schools are:

    Bishop Elementary School

    Fairwood Explorer Program

    Lakewood Elementary School

    San Miguel Juntos Spanish/English Dual Immersion Program

    Vargas Student Success through Science Program

    Families wishing to apply for Open Enrollment would still register at their home school; however, they would request an Open Enrollment form, which they would complete with their registration.

    Open Enrollment Process

    • Open Enrollment takes place during the first 10 school days in February. 
    • To request a transfer to a Program of Choice or district school other than your neighborhood school, fill out an “Open Enrollment Request” form available at the schools, district office, or here.
    • Have your Open Enrollment Request signed by your school of residence.
    • After your home school signs your Open Enrollment Request, please submit your form to the Sunnyvale School District office, 819 W. Iowa Avenue, Sunnyvale. All Open Enrollment forms must be completed during the first 10 school days in February.
    • Before April 15, the district will hold a drawing to assign a lottery number to each student participating in Open Enrollment. This drawing will assign lottery numbers only; it will not determine placement.
    • Transfers are based on available space in the grade and school you are requesting. Students have first priority at their home schools; then transfers for available openings are filled in lottery order. 
    • Parents/guardians applying for a change of school will be notified as soon as practical, but notification may be as late as August.
    • Once school has started in August, students previously placed on a waiting list to transfer to another school will not be moved; they will attend their home school.

    Important Notes About Open Enrollment

    • Open enrollment does not guarantee placement; open enrollment is a random, unbiased selection process that identifies, if available, space for transfer students after resident students are placed.
    • Previously approved Open Enrollment transfers need not reapply yearly.
    • Transportation is not provided for students who transfer from their neighborhood schools.
    • Poor attendance, which is considered to be six or more tardies or 10 or more unexcused absences, can result in cancellation of your Open Enrollment transfer.
    • If your transfer is denied due to space, you may reapply again next year.


    Comments (-1)
  • Where do I go to register my child for school?

    Posted by:

    While school is in session, registration occurs at the school site.  Registration is open from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday.  

    For families who arrive during the summer, registrations are completed at the Sunnyvale School District Office -- 819 W. Iowa Ave.

    Comments (-1)
  • The district website refers to "Online Registration." Is there an online only option?

    Posted by:

    Registration takes place in two stages.

    1.  Parent brings the required documents to the school (or district office when school is out of session).  The registrars in the office will verify all of your documents and enter your registration into our system.  You will receive an email containing a SnapCode for completing the online registration. If you do not receive the email within 24-48 hours, check your junk mail or spam folder before contacting our school office. 

    2.  Parents log into InfoSnap (our student information system) using the SnapCode provided in the registration email.  Parents complete the registration online through InfoSnap by providing information regarding health, parent contact information, emergency contact information, and other necessary data.

    Once the InfoSnap registration is submitted, the parents will receive an email confirming that registration has been submitted.

    Please note: Registration is not complete until both stages are complete.  


    Comments (-1)
  • What documents are required for registration?

    Posted by:

    Required at the Time of Registration

    • Four Proofs of Residence:

    1.   One Picture ID such as Driver's License (or DMV-stamped chg. of addr. or computer print out), Consulate Issued ID (with correct address), or Passport (with correct address).  If the address on the photo ID does not match your current address, a fifth proof of residence will be required.

    2.  One of the following: Monthly Mortgage Payment, OR Lease or Rental Agreement, OR Monthly Space Rent (Mobile Home Park).  If you do not have a mortgage, you can submit ONE of the following: Yearly tax assessment post card or Biannual Tax Bill

    3.  ONE of the following original Utility Bill: Current PG&E bill (all pages), Current City Water/Sewer bill, Current Cable bill, Current Phone bill (cell/ and landline).  Current bill should not be more than 45 days old.

    4.  ONE of the following : Car Registration (not pink slip), Recent Payroll Warrant or pay stub, 1040 Income Tax Form, Bank Statement, State or Federal Mail, To be determined by District Rep.

    • Email Address

    • Proof of Age

    Please provide one of the following: Original Birth Certificate (Born in U.S.A.) - lost birth certificates can be ordered from the County Recorder’s Office in County of birth, Passport (non-USA birth), or Certificate of Live Birth – State issued

    • Proof of TB Risk Assessment (Due at time of registration) 

    On a Yellow Calif. Immunization Health Card or MD printout.  Required for all Kinders, new students, or returning students if left SC County for 12 months or more.

    TB risk assessment by a MD required before registration.  Evaluation given in USA within 12 months of school registration.  If Positive evaluation – MD may recommend IGRA, TST or CXR. IGRA Blood test (repeat if test indeterminate.) IGRA or TST test  must have: 1) Date given, 2) date read, 3) results pos/neg 4) MD’s signature or stamp. TST skin test must also have: 5) results in mm. Positive chest X-Ray results must be cleared by a MD before attending school. Students with negative MD assessment may attend school.

    • Proof of Immunizations: Required for Registration

    • 4 Polio at any age or 3 ok for age 6 and below if 1 given after age 4; for age 7 and above 3 ok if 1 was given after age 2.

    • 5 DTaP; or 4 for age 6 and below if 1 given after age 4. Age 7 and older if 1 given after age 2.

    • 1 Tdap booster for grade 7; must be given after age 7

    • 2 MMR for gr K & 7th grade; must be given after age 1.

    • 1 MMR for grades 1–6 and 8; must be given after age 1.

    • 3 Hepatitis B prior to kindergarten entry.

    • 1 Chickenpox (varicella) for under 13 years; 2 doses for age 13 and older; or MD proof of having had the disease


    Required at registration or prior to 5/31 of the kindergarten year.

    • Kinder Oral Health Exam

    Kinder requirement or 1st Graders with no previous school experience: The Oral Health Exam should be done by your child’s dentist 12 months prior to entry or no later than 5/31 of kindgergarten year. If you do not have a dentist, call the Sunnyvale Children’s Dental Center 408- 701-5882 for free dental screening.

    Required 18 months prior to 1st grade.

    • Kinder or First Grade Physical Exam

    Kinder requirement: The CHDP exam can be done by your child’s doctor within 18 months of 1st grade entry, but no later than 5/31 of Kindergarten year.  (The earliest this assessment can be done is February of the kindergarten year.)

    1st Graders with no previous school experience: The CHDP exam should be done within 3 mos. of 1st grade entry. No Health Insurance? Call 1-800-689-6669 for free CHDP information. This State Health form is not a substitute for the Yellow California Record of Immunization Health Card. Health & Dental is not required until 1st grade. Do exam before May of KN year for entry into first grade.

    Comments (-1)
  • Can I use a PO Box, business address, or child care address for my child's residential address?

    Posted by:

    PO Boxes, business addresses, or your child care provider’s address may not be used as your student’s residential address. A student must be living in the district full time, seven days a week, at the time of registration.  In the case of a joint custody arrangement, the student must reside (sleep) within our boundaries at least 50% of the school week. Court documents will be required.

    Comments (-1)
  • For immunizations, are all doses required at the time of registration?

    Posted by:

    All shots are required for registration; however, if your doctor will not give the shots before registration, s/he must write a letter stating the reasons for not giving the shots.  In addition, s/he must include your next appointment date when the shots will be given.

    Comments (-1)
  • What is the required format for the Immunization Record? Is a printout of the immunizations o.k.?

    Posted by:

    You can bring in the yellow immunization card or a print out of the shots and the dates they were given. If you bring in a print out of the immunizations, the doctor's stamp or digital signature must be included.   

    Comments (-1)
  • Can I submit an exemption for immunizations?

    Posted by:

    As of January 1, 2016, parents may no longer obtain a personal belief exemption to 10 school-required vaccinations: diphtheria, Haemophilus influenzae type b (bacterial meningitis), measles, mumps, pertussis (whooping cough), polio, rubella, tetanus, hepatitis B and chicken pox.

    As of July 1, 2016, students must meet the vaccination requirements at certain vaccination check points, unless they have a medical exemption or are attending school at home or independently with no classroom instruction.

    Comments (-1)
  • How do I get my registration completed as quickly as possible?

    Posted by:

    In order to quickly complete your registration, be sure to have all of the required documents prior to coming for registration.  It is also helpful to bring a copy of the immunization record and birth certificate that can be used for our records.  If you are unable to make copies, copies will be made for you.  Once your documents have been submitted, you will receive an email with a "Snapcode."  This allows you to complete your registration online in a program called "InfoSnap."  Registrations are not completed until the InfoSnap information has been submitted and you have received your confirmation. If you do not receive the email within 24-48 hours, check your junk mail or spam folder before contacting the school office. 

    Comments (-1)
  • How does the school determine the order of registrations?

    Posted by:

    The order of the registrations is determined by the date and time of the submitted "InfoSnap" registration.

    Comments (-1)
  • What should I do if I think my child should be placed in a different grade level?

    Posted by:

    Once your child has been registered at Cherry Chase, you can bring your concerns to our administrative team.  Typically, all students (especially in kindergarten) are placed based on their age.  After a teacher has an opportunity to assess the student's academic, social, and emotional development, the school team will work with you to determine the most appropriate placement.


    Comments (-1)
  • Can I request a specific teacher for my student?

    Posted by:

    We do not guarantee placement of students in a specific classroom, as our teachers work to create classes with a balance of students based on the students academic, social, and emotional needs.  If you feel that there is a specific need that we should take into account when placing your child, we welcome you to write a letter describing the needs of your child.  We will do our best to find the most appropriate placement, but we do not honor requests for specific teachers.

    Comments (-1)