Open Enrollment and TK Placement
Open Enrollment - February 1-12, 2021
Participating Schools: Bishop Elementary, Ellis Elementary, Fairwood Elementary, Lakewood Elementary, San Miguel, Juntos Dual Immersion Program-San Miguel Elementary, Vargas Elementary, Juntos Dual Language Immersion Program (6th grade Only)-Columbia Middle School and Columbia Middle School.
TK Placement - February 2021 - August 2021
Elementary Schools with TK: Bishop, Ellis, Lakewood, San Miguel and Vargas.
Open Enrollment is a request to transfer from your school of residence (a.k.a. your “neighborhood school” or your “home school”) to a Program of Choice or another school within the Sunnyvale School District. Open Enrollment is one of the ways the Sunnyvale School District aims to meet the diverse needs and interests of its students. Please note that you must complete Sunnyvale School District's registration process in order to be eligible for the Open Enrollment process.
- Open Enrollment is not necessary for students who are registered for and wish to attend their home school.
- Open Enrollment Lottery will be held prior to April.
- TK Lottery will be initially ran in May.
Open Enrollment Forms
Open Enrollment English Form (Including Transitional Kindergarten Placement)
Open Enrollment Spanish Form (Including Transitional Kindergarten Placement)
More About Open Enrollment
Open Enrollment Requirements
- All students must live in the Sunnyvale School District.
- All students must have completed address verification and registration at their home school for the grade they will be attending in the upcoming school year.
Open Enrollment Process
- Open Enrollment takes place during the first 10 school days in February.
- To request a transfer to a Program of Choice or district school other than your neighborhood school, complete the online Open Enrollment form.
- Before April 15, the district will hold a drawing to assign a lottery number to each student participating in Open Enrollment. This drawing will assign lottery numbers only; it will not determine placement.
- Transfers are based on available space in the grade and school you are requesting. Students have first priority at their home schools; then transfers for available openings are filled in lottery order.
- Parents/guardians applying for a change of school will be notified as soon as practical, but notification may be as late as August.
- Once school summer registration has started, students previously placed on a waiting list to transfer to another school will not be moved; they will attend their home school.
Important Notes About Open Enrollment
- Open enrollment does not guarantee placement; open enrollment is a random, unbiased selection process that identifies, if available, space for transfer students after resident students are placed.
- Previously approved Open Enrollment transfers need not reapply yearly.
- Transportation is not provided for students who transfer from their neighborhood schools.
- Poor attendance, which is considered to be six or more tardies or 10 or more unexcused absences, can result in cancellation of your Open Enrollment transfer.
- If your transfer is denied due to space, you may reapply again next year.
- All Sunnyvale School District Schools are available for Open Enrollment; however, the District annually reviews enrollment at all schools and identifies impacted schools that are not available for Open Enrollment in a given year.
- Enrollment in SESD middle schools is based on your address / school of residency. To attend a middle school outside of your attendance area another open enrollment application must be submitted.